Please note that the examination process will soon change to an automated online process. Until then the existing process has to be followed meticulously.
A: Exams & Registration Process
1. Photographers can register 12 times a year (1st of every month).
2. A non-refundable examination fee of R1,370 is payable to SABPA upon requesting your examination paper. Papers must be requested 1 week prior to your application date. To avoid confusion, please confirm which date you are applying for. Proof of examination fees need to be sent with your paper request. You have to apply on the application date confirmed.
3. Your final application has to include the following: – a completed SABPA theory exam (the exam is based on the SABPA Oath of Conduct and Specific Hospital Requirements where they exist) – signed membership form & SABPA Oath of Conduct – confirmation of your SABPA registered backup as well as proof of your branded scrubs.
4. Processing your application can take up to 2 weeks. If you pass your SABPA Entry Exams you will be required to pay your annual membership fee of R1,770 upon which you will receive your SABPA License.
5. All SABPA licenses have to be renewed on an annual basis at a fee of R1,770 a year (annual interest / fee structure changes may apply). In order to renew you need to have attended at least 2 births in your previous membership year in the capacity of a birth photographer.
B: SABPA Registration & License Requirements:
1. R1,770 annual, non-refundable member fee (payable once you’ve qualified and your application has been approved).
2. 85% pass rate on the SABPA Entry Exam. The exam is based on the SABPA Oath of Conduct & hospital specific requirements where applicable and are changed from time to time. The exam paper can be obtained from email@example.com from 1 week prior to your application submission. Please send proof of payment of your R1,370 examination fee when you request the paper. You are encouraged to use and review the Oath of Conduct while taking the exam. This is not cheating. On the contrary, we feel the better you know it and are familiar with it, the more it will serve you as a credible birth photographer. Please verify you are working with the most current one before beginning the test
C: Renting your own SABPA practice
1. Renting a virtual area-based practice from SABPA is not compulsory, but can go a long way in terms of establishing hospital relationships, building a client base and be taken seriously as a non-clinical healthcare professional. There are only a limited amount of practices per area which are rented exclusively to SABPA members. Ten percent of renting fees go to HATCH started kits for new mothers in underprivileged areas. Read more: SABPA Practice Renting
D: The following disqualifies you immediately and permanently from becoming a SABPA member / being a SABPA member:
1. Photo stealing. All images must be ones you took. Paid for stock images may not be used in a manner that will mislead parents.
2. Saying you are SABPA registered or creating the impression that you are when you are not 3. Making statements on behalf of SABPA or using the SABPA logo without permission.
4. Gross violation of the SABPA Oath of Conduct or any of the hospital-specific codes / requirements during the planning & coverage of births 2 months prior to or after registering as a SABPA member.
5. Discriminatory, disrespectful, defamatory or dishonest behavior within the industry and towards fellow-birth photographers and birth professionals 6. Providing incomplete or incorrect information on your hospital permission forms.
E: Unpacking the SABPA Oath of Conduct and Building your Birth Photography Practice:
1. You are welcome to submit questions on the code to SABPA (we will answer as and when we can) but once you have requested your exam papers no more questions will be allowed until after.
2. To support learners a short course called “Unpacking the SABPA Oath of Conduct” will soon be available to purchase from SABPA once they have requested their exams. The course is optional and not compulsory, but it is advisable as it will ultimately give you more insight into the inner workings of medicine & the humanities in the long run. We are in the process of developing other courses as well for continuing your education as birth professional.
3. For mentoring on being a birth professional and building your birth photography practice we encourage you to visit www.aldasmith.com and subscribe for the free ante-natal course, AT THE HEART OF BIRTH
F: SABPA Bank Details:
Savings Account: 1398827086
Capitec (branch code 470010)
SABPA is a supporting association and although members may lose their SABPA licenses if complaints are received regarding their conduct, we cannot take responsibility for individual members’ actions and conduct at births. If you do feel a member of ours is in contravention of the oath, please email us the relevant details to firstname.lastname@example.org This document and registration requirements may be changed from time to time to stay updated and current. The latest version will always be published on our website on www.sabirthphotographers.com